Fathers have this unexplainable ability to melt our hearts one minute, and drive us crazy the next. Whether guiding us through difficult life moments or indulging in their favorite pastime, toilet humor, ultimately this endearing dichotomy is what makes a father’s love so unique, and our relationship with them so instrumental.
Being a dad, and being loved by a dad are some of life’s greatest gifts. They’re our teacher, counselor, coach, disciplinarian, protector and more all rolled into one. With that many job roles, funny, heartwarming, and heart wrenching moments come with the territory. And to perfectly illustrate fatherhood, we’ve compiled the following quotes that are sure to make you smile, laugh, cry, or all the above. Enjoy and Happy Father’s Day!
- “Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.” – Jim Bishop
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
- “You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes.” – Walter M. Schirra Jr.
- “You can tell what was the best year of your father’s life, because they seem to freeze that clothing style and ride it out.” – Jerry Seinfeld
- “I think my mom put it best. She said, ‘Little girls soften their daddy’s hearts.’” – Paul Walker
- “My Father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, you never know what you can accomplish until you try.” – Michael Jordan
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.” – Tim Russert
- “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Dads hold our hands for a little while and hold our hearts forever.” – Anonymous
- “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape.” – Dave Attell
- “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, singers of songs.” – Pam Brown
- “No man can possibly know what life means, what the world means, until he has a child and loves it. And then the whole universe changes and nothing will ever again seem exactly as it seemed before.” – Lafcadio Hearn
- “My Father always told me, ‘Find a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.’” – Jim Fox
- “Having children is like living in a frat house — nobody sleeps, everything’s broken, and there’s a lot of throwing up.” – Ray Romano
- “Raising kids may be a thankless job with ridiculous hours, but at least the pay sucks.” – Jim Gaffigan